Early Voting Has Started
YOU CAN VOTE EARLY IF
• You Are Pregnant
• Military Active Duty
• Working On Election Day
• Caring For An Elderly Parent
• Traveling On Election Day
• Out-of-Town College Student
IN-PERSON ABSENTEE VOTING
MAIL-IN ABSENTEE VOTING
ON ELECTION DAY
• You may vote curbside (from inside your car at the polling place). Simply drive up and call the phone number listed on the sign
• For language assistance, any person (besides an election officer) is allowed to accompany a voter in the voting booth to assist them. The person assisting does not have to present ID.
At your usual polling location.
Frequently Asked Questions
+ What is this election all about?
Abrar Omeish is a Fairfax County Democratic Committee (FCDC)-endorsed candidate for Fairfax County School Board At-Large, a special non-partisan primary election. This role would be focused on oversight over the entire Fairfax County Public School (FCPS) system and its $3 billion budget. There are 3 seats up for election and will be voted by Fairfax County citizens at a general election on November 5, 2019.
+ What is FCPS? FCDC? School Board At-Large?
•FCPS stands for Fairfax County Public Schools.
•FCDC stands for Fairfax County Democratic Committee.
•School Board At-Large is the specific role that focused on oversight of all Fairfax schools.
+ How do I register to vote?
You must be a registered voter to be able to vote in the general election.
The last day to register to be eligible to vote in 2019 is on October 11.
Click here to walk through the registration process in Virginia.
Once you are registered to vote, you should confirm your polling location.
Click here to confirm where you should go to vote on November 5.
If you won’t be able to vote on November 5, you can apply for an absentee ballot.
+ What are the duties of a FCPS School Board At-Large member?
From the FCPS Website:
The Fairfax County School Board is charged by the statutes of Virginia and the regulations of the Virginia Board of Education to operate the public schools of Fairfax County by setting general school policy and establishing guidelines that will ensure the proper administration of the Fairfax County Public Schools programs.
Ignite, our Strategic Plan, and four goals (Student Success, Caring Culture, Premiere Workforce, and Resource Stewardship) define the role of all FCPS staff members in living the commitment to our staff, students, and community.
+ Why is the role for Fairfax County School Board At-Large an important position for our school system?
The School Board is responsible for overseeing a $3 billion budget across the following categories:
Instruction: operation expenditures, state payments on behalf of the district for instruction and benefits, and retirement system transfers
Support Services: support services, food services, and retirement system transfers for support service staff
Capital Spending: capital outlay expenditures (i.e., construction, land or facilities purchases, and equipment purchases)
Debt & Gov. Payments: payments to state and local governments and interest on school system debt
Other: all other non-K-12 programs, except food services
+ Why should I consider Abrar Omeish for School Board At-Large?
- Abrar is a 2nd generation FCPS student and a lifelong Fairfax County resident with 10 years of proven experience working with local communities, parents, teachers, and students.
- She is a trusted, accessible, and open-minded advocate endorsed by local leaders including Virginia’s Secretary of Education, Atif Qarni.
- She will work for an inclusive and equitable FCPS that provides every student with a quality education.
- Finally, Abrar has the bold, value-driven vision that sets a new standard for public service.